It was not all entirely good though.
The weather was alternately (very) wet and dry, which made emptying the car amusing! The venue was stiflingly hot and there was arguably too much crammed into the main hall which made it feel hotter and more claustrophobic than perhaps was necessary. Several traders were also a bit peeved that people did not know they were there in a second hall.
Note to organisers: put the tourney games in the small hall and move the trade presence to the main one, which would also probably free up some space there too.
However, there were numerous good bits too.
- £150 was raised for a local hospice from raffle ticket sales.
- James Morris (and friends') Verdun game. Take a look at this game if you see it offered at a show. It is a very simply but excellently staged rendition of a small section of a fort on the Verdun front (Fort Vaux, I think), beautifully modelled and with a novel game played over, in and around it.
- The Athlone game from Derby (I think). Colourful, well-modelled and with some very nice touches. I almost broke out my stalled 1690 figure project...
- Some very decent trade offerings for a small show.
- Many other, smaller games from Telford and others, which I did not get much chance to see in detail.
I would show you photos of the best bits, but my camera died without taking a shot in anger and then my phone refused to yield its contents!
So the only pictures you get are of my customarily too frequent purchases! I only went to the show with the intention of buying two things - "Sharp Practice 2" and, if I could get an early copy, Dan Mersey's latest offering via Osprey Publishing, for colonial games, namely "The Men Who Would Be Kings".
|And who would not have a stone circle in their Irish/ Ancient British games?|
|Three boxes of Perry plastics and I hope to have a Peninsular War set up for Sharp Practice. Infantry, Hussars and Dragoons pretty much covers all I will need for the first few units. Then back to Eagle Figures in the near future for some Spanish?|
|One ruleset to rule them all, one ruleset to find them...What I ACTUALLY went to the show with the intention of buying! I thought I would buy both the cards and chips in case I lose one or the other...|
|And now for something COMPLETELY different!|