Pages

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Favourite troop types

Like, I suspect, a number of people, I have favourite troop types.

As a child, it was French Napoleonic Cuirassiers, inspired by the Airfix set we all no doubt had loads of at one time or other. I like cuirassiers of all sorts in truth, and heavy cavalry in general, but the French heavies are still a big favourite. Moving on through life, along came Spartiates, Sassanid clibanarii, Swiss pikemen, Indian elephants and, the subject of this little feature.....

Janissaries!

What more could any guy want? A horde of well-trained, well-armed, disciplined regular troops fired by that extra-special religious fervour borne of the convert, equally able to shoot you down or hack you to death in the ensuing charge. And they look so cool!!! I want a zerkulah!!!!! (That's the hat, by the way).

The figures are again Old Glory, from pack OXT 8 I think. The 30 figures include 6 command figures, 2 each of musicians, standard bearers and officers, which very nicely provides 3 drilled units for Donnybrook plus enough characters to give some good options to accompany them.

So, here are the first of the Janissaries, with more to follow if you count those in the picture (11 missing from the pack of 30, you see!) I wonder if I will ever get around to the Sassanids and Spartiates......

G

Lots of figure variety again to start with, with heads at different poses, arquebusses at different angles and so on. Add in my usual different sash colours, sash patterns, hair colour, undergarment colours, arquebus colours and patterns and I have my desired variety.

I like different metal and leather colours too. Janissaries could famously choose whatever weapons they wanted from the armoury before leaving for campaign, so variety was a given.


A variety of sash colours and patterns, as well as undershirt colours.

And patterns on weapons to add some detail.


The three command to go with the blue Janissaries. I should probably have gone to town on patterning the officer's robes...





No comments:

Post a Comment