Pages

Saturday 14 October 2017

Derby Show, 2017

Hello again.

Last weekend saw the annual Derby World Wargames Show. I would query both the "Derby" bit (it was held several miles away in Leicestershire) and the "World" bit (in the same way the World Series is American baseball and seems to have nothing  at all to do with anyone or anywhere else), but it was a wargames show of some magnitude and Nephew Nick and I were going !

The venue, at Hangar 42 of Bruntingthorpe aerodrome, was a bit of a jaunt and not the easiest in the world to find (for us anyway - locals would have had no real problem of course), was a decent size, well lit and with decent facilities...but it was far too cramped.

Around a third of the venue was given over to tournaments of various descriptions, whilst the poor old demo and participation games, not to mention the traders, were left with too little room to move in my opinion. Coupled with the usual souls who think standing in the middle of the path chatting away oblivious to any spatial awareness concerns, it made for a sometimes fraught, often sticky and humid and sometimes unpleasant experience. I almost felt I was competing for oxygen at some points!

One solution would have been to have moved more to the entrance lobby, but this was curiously left rather short of clutter, but did feature two very good-looking sizeable games, a smaller affair and a couple of smaller traders. I reckon a couple more of both games and traders located in this very light and airy space would have helped a fair way to ease the issues in the main hall and, as you had to both enter and exit the same way, no one would have lost out.

It was quite pleasant being greeted by some Imperial Stormtroopers in full gear at the door and, playing to type, the chap with the Rebel Alliance hat badge was grilled before entry! I thought a good game could have been to see who could do the best Alec Guinness ("These aren't the punters you're looking for") for a free entry pass or something, but that's just because I'm a bit strange...

There was a good selection of traders and some decent games, but I felt the overall standard was rather lower than previous Derby shows and other shows in general. It was difficult to engage with show-goers given the limited space I dare say, and too few people gave any thought to trying to do so anyway. We went on the Saturday and got there early, so fatigue could not really have been a factor. It must have been lack of desire to engage with Joe Public for me, which I do not like. Like certain political parties who preach to the converted, and thereby claim extra popularity, I gall at the gamers showing other gamers what is on offer - surely WE KNOW ALREADY what wargaming is!!! There may not be much in the way of a passing, casual observer at most wargames shows, but surely the variety and scope of our hobby precludes any of us from knowing everything and, therefore, engaging with us on subjects which may not be our particular subject area is a vital mission and should be a gimme?!

Anyway, I did enjoy my day, despite the claustrophobic conditions and mild annoyance at the awareness-challenged (they crop up a lot in supermarkets too, I find, which is even worse because they are also usually armed with an errant trolley!!!) I also spent a small fortune, even though I did not get everything I was looking for.

I will debut the purchases one day soon, but do not tell my wife how much I spent!

But enough rambling, grumbling and pontificating. Time for some photos of some of the games that caught my eye.

G

The League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers put on this "Back of Beyond" game, featuring some nice figures, good, functional terrain with some highlights and featuring a "period" I have some interest in, albeit more in the Russian Civil War context than specifically Central Asia as here. Probably my favourite game of the show.

Two Tachankas and some Red cavalry cross the railway line.

The whole table, with a very nice looking Asiatic city as a backdrop. They were using the "Setting the East Ablaze" rules I think, version 2 which is newly published. Very nice and one I would have been proud to have put on. WELL DONE FELLAS!

The Leicester Phatt Cats put on this pirate game entitled "Blood and Plunder". I am not sure if they were using the new rules of the same name.

And another shot of the same game.

A post-apocalypse game, which I think was "Not a Test" from the Yorkshire Renegades club.

I took a photo of this game by Leeds Wargames Club depicting the Battle of Jutland. It's scale was impressive, but I have reservations about its value as a game at a show for anyone who is not actually playing. It just doesn't show well for me, but I admire the club's desire to put on something of such magnitude and historical importance.

This Battle of Port Arthur, whilst still a naval game, showed rather better than Jutland I felt. The scale of ship was larger and the inclusion of the harbour at the top of shot gave it that bit extra to warrant attention. Thanks to the Derby Wargames Society for this one.

Port Arthur itself.

The "Last of the Mohicans" by the Boondock Sayntes depicted the scenes towards the end of that film when the British column left Fort William Henry and were ambushed by the Indians loyal to the French. The rules used were "Sharp Practice 2". A winner for me given my current painting schedule!

Fort William Henry itself (sort of).

The command stand for Royal-Roussillon, complete with Colonel's flag. One of the team behind the game said this regiment took the first battalion to North America hence the Colonel's flag being present. I do not know if this is true or not, but my reading so far states that no first battalions went. Who cares anyway!?!?
"Buford's Last Stand" from day 1 of Gettysburg was on offer from York Wargames Society.

The Battle of Cerignola, 1503,put on by someone or other. As the game does not feature in my show guide, I am at a loss to say who demo'ed this, but the figures looked good, the terrain looked effective and it was probably my second favourite. This shot shows the Imperialist lines judging by the flags.

No comments:

Post a Comment