Pages

Monday 26 March 2018

His Majesty's 58th Foot

Hello again.

I trust the snail's pace at which I am getting through my French & Indian Wars project will improve as the daylight hours lengthen now it is British Summer Time, but I have now at least finished His Majesty's 58th Regiment of Foot. The main source I have used for this regiment is the colour plate in the Osprey "British Redcoat vs French Fusilier" title in their Combat series, number 17 of that series to be precise. To be even more precise, the aforementioned plate is on page 59 of the book and the regimental flag on age 65!

This now makes three of the planned seven regiments of British foot completed and the fourth is now underway. I will not spoil that by announcing which regiment that is, but will, of course, post some pics when it is done.

As before, the majority of the figures are Eagle Figures, but I have mixed in a couple of Redoubt command figures to ring a few changes. The stockier build and bigger hats make them stand out somewhat, as you will see in the attached photos. The flags are my usual hand painted on calico affairs attached to brass wire poles.

I was working on this project with no real anticipation that these figures would see a games table any time soon, but Nephew Nick has confirmed his availability for the Barrage Show in Stafford on 8th July, we have met up to determine exactly what we need to do to put on the first game (build terrain, paint some more units, rope in a couple of other players, etc), so I now fully expect them to see the light of day for the first time at that show on that date.

So, without further ado, here are the 58th.

G

HM 58th Regiment of Foot, c.1758

The gold writing on both standards was achieved with a gold-coloured fine nibbed pen courtesy of Daughter Eleanor's art materials. I shall certainly be using it again!


One of the Redoubt command figures, the other one carrying the black, regimental standard


I have to say that I find painting British infantry more difficult than their French counterparts, with the exception of the drummers. The Eagle Figures casts have cast-on, raised lace, whereas I am forced to largely paint on the Livree du Roi for the French drummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment