Pages

Saturday 3 November 2018

It's Been A Hoot

Hello again.

Progress on anything at all, but especially on my current fave of "Burrows & Badgers", has been slow of late. Back at work for after a week of rest and recuperation, coupled with the usual weather and reduced daylight given the time of year, I have not really started anything and I have not really finished anything either. With one exception.

I have given a certain amount of time of late to what I want to do next for my anthropomorphic animal kicks, sorting out different warbands from the figures I have. You see, although many of the figures are generic in nature, I have a passion for specific in most things. I can do a couple of "complete" warbands already and have two more I can get on with from the lead pimple, so it perhaps comes as a bit of a surprise that the subject of this missive is not really specific at all.

I can factor it in with my Witch Hunters quite easily. I can factor it in also to either of my next projects. I can also see it alone or in something else altogether - aerial cover for the noble Knights of the Lavender Order, savage hunter for some wild clan types from north of Northymbra, leader of "the Few" of the Royal Owl Force/ Regia Owlanautica/ Nachjaegergeschwader.

Yes, I have finished something unique so far in my "Burrows & Badgers" menagerie in that this beastie can fly! I give you a Barn Owl! And I am as yet so undecided on what he or she will play as a role that I have not even created any suitable names yet. All I know is that this avian predator ain't going to sea with no kitty cat in a vessel of any colour any time soon!!!

I know it is entirely feasible for birds of any sort to take off from the ground, but I felt I was missing a trick in having this guy do that. So, in true Heath Robinson style, I built a suitable perch from which to launch, in this case an ancient, low wall, built up from spare plastic bases and modelling filler. I could have gone higher, but he is already imposing and I do have to fit him in the carry case!

The paint job was a tricky one and I am not quite sure I pulled it off. I checked out various photographic references to Barn Owls on the net and am still wondering how to get that beautiful, black spot mottling on their feathers. As with any creature, the amount, tone and colour of their plumage varies somewhat, but reddish brown with varying amounts of grey/ black mottling is the norm. See what you think.





With hindsight, I think I should have built the wall behind the owl out to the edge of the base, so it looks like it continues behind him, rather than have it ruined and tapering into the base, but I am happy with the result overall. And with Oathsworn Miniatures bringing ever more flying creatures into the world, to accompany those they do already, the prospect of a squadron of fliers is becoming ever more a reality!!! I wonder how many times I can shout "Tally Ho, Chaps!" before my opponent stomps off in a huff or shouts at me...

So, what will I be doing next? Well, you'll have to wait and see, work, light and weather conditions notwithstanding. But don't rule out more flying types...

G

No comments:

Post a Comment