Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2019

Sir Robert de Leveret

Hello again.

Those of you who have stayed the course through my various ramblings, or have at least checked out some of my older projects, will know that I like knights. The splendour of all that heraldry, which, curiously, I do not actually mind painting (so long as it is fancy animals and not all geometric stuff, because straight lines are a nightmare to paint on a flowing caparison), is a big attraction for me. Even flags in later conflicts appeal, though they do tend to be a lot more geometrically inclined I find. It is for this reason, the love of heraldry that is, that I am the proud owner of four medieval armies - English, Scots, Burgundians and Swiss. I have plans to add that well-known (in my head) Condottiere Gariglio Tipuomo and his force to that list at some point too.

Therefore, it was probably not going to be long before I dipped my "Burrows & Badgers" toe into the military arm of my Order of the Lavender Garden, having previously done the Inquisitorial part with my witch hunters. Now, you will not find that particular order in a list of Masonic or Catholic charters, as I created them specifically so I could theme some of my "B&B" purchases, but they now exist in my little, anthropomorphic world as fighters as well as hunters of dark sorcery. Part of the delay was my desire to paint several different warbands for the game, so something had to go towards the back of the ever-growing queue. The other part of the delay was Nephew Nick and his "Florentines", who basically use the figures I wanted to paint!

The first of the Military Order of the Knights of the Lavender Garden is now here, however. Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you...

Sir Robert de Leveret, a hare with a sword, a shield bearing the purple lily badge of the order on a white field, heavy armour...and a crossbow. I really do not know why the sculptors decided to give the knights in my little set up crossbows (a very un-knightly weapon to be sure!), but there it is, strapped to his back with various blanket rolls and baggage.

The determined-looking Sir Robert de Leveret.

And that crossbow...

And a big coil of rope to tie up captured baddies, thereby proving it is not all about slaying unbelievers.
I have a game against Nephew Nick arranged for tomorrow morning, so it will be interesting to see if Sir Robert takes to the table. He can ally with my Witch Hunters and lead them against whatever Nick brings with him (probably the Florentines!), or I can just use my Witch Hunters as before, or I cam dig out the pirates or dredge up the Strath Clotans or, lastly, create something entirely different. Whatever I choose, I am sure of one thing. Nephew Nick will bring his jammy dice!

G

No comments:

Post a Comment