Pages

Monday 8 April 2019

Very Handy Reference Material

Hello again.

Perusing a local newsagents recently in search of my usual monthly reading matter, I happened across something that immediately grabbed my attention.


This was just sitting there, crying softly at me with those immortal words, "Buy me! Buy me!"
So, after a few seconds of content checking, to ensure it was not a part work but was actually the real deal, and not chockfull of stats rather than nice piccies, I duly bought it. I was not disappointed!

Just look at the sort of thing you get for your £7.99!!!

A random opening of the book for photographic purposes and I got this spread of Merlin-engine Spitfires.
Now, it has been a very long time since I put together a good, old Airfix kit, and even longer since I did a plane, so my memory of colours and markings is not quite what it was. I do not intend to build any kits anytime soon either, so why bother?

Well, just think of the uses this book can be put to.
  1. The book covers EVERY propeller-engine fighter class of the Second Word War the RAF used, even down to the Bell Airacobra. There are numerous Spitfires (both engine types, Merlin and Griffon), Hurricanes, Warhawk/ Tomahawk/ Kitty Hawk, Typhoons and Tempests, Gladiators, Blenheims, Beaufighters, Whirlwinds, Mosquitoes, Boulton Paul Defiants...even Mustangs and Airacobras!
  2. Even if you are not an aeroplane modeller, the number of games you can use this for to fill out your forces is enviable. "Blood Red Skies" is an obvious one. I have just bought "Cruel Seas" and note that Beaufighters are available to the British forces in that game. The Desert War players can have their Hurricanes, Hawks and others. Those who prefer Normandy can go tank-busting with the Typhoons. Etc.
  3. Who could go wrong with those colour spreads covering every single featured aircraft type? The header proclaims "More than 280 highly detailed colour profiles" and it is not wrong!
  4. You even get a colour chart in the back of the book!
  5. Most handily of all, perhaps, is the advert on the inner rear cover showing other titles in the series, with "Luftwaffe Fighters", "Pacific War" and "Allied Fighters" all covered to tempt you further.
"Absolute bargain" is what I call it. I would also throw in "essential purchase" and "eminently usable".

Published by Mortons Media Group Ltd, check out WHSmith and other newsagents or go to www.classicmagazines.co.uk/thebookshelf if you want to look at the whole range of stuff.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment