Pages

Monday 21 October 2019

More Jacobites Ready For Action!

Hello again.

Hot on the heels of Lord Louth's Regiment of Foot come the first of the regiments and units I first painted back in 2012, but have only just got around to finishing off. This project really has been a triumph of perseverance over planning!

Formed from a variety of converted and "as is" Wargames Factory plastic Marlburians, these were inspired originally by a few things - the "Beneath Lily Banners" rules, Mark Allen's work on the French army at the end of the 17th and into the 18th Century, the Jacobites featuring specifically in Wargames Illustrated issue 54 for March 1992, some very nice looking games at shows, the availability of the aforementioned Wargames Factory figures and various bits of reading matter, such as Michael McNally's "The Battle of Aughrim, 1691". Apart from the plastics, which enabled me to get into the period cheaply and paved the way for relatively easy conversion work, which I was "into" at the time, there were also several ranges of metal figures available to fill out what I expected to be a considerable number of regiments.

Of course, as is always my way, the wind changed and so did my tastes, as other projects came and went to match show games with anniversaries (Bannockburn, Malta, etc) and these figures languished in storage until now. I added more figures to what I started with from the likes of Reiver Castings, Copplestone and Foundry, but they are only now starting to make it to the painting table, as first evidenced by Lord Louth's Regiment.

As usual, the flags are my own hand painted on calico types. So, without further ado, I give you the regiments of the Earl of Antrim, the Lord Grand Prior and a couple of light guns to add a bit of extra bang for the proverbial buck.

G

Hinchliffe guns from my spares box with a couple of converted Wargames Factory plastic crew figures and tools again from the spares box.



The Earl of Antrim's Regiment of Foot.

Identifiably Irish given the "In Hoc Signo Vinces" motto on the flag.


The Lord Grand Prior's Regiment. As Mark Allen kindly showed grenadier caps in his artwork back in the March 1992 issue of Wargames Illustrated, this regiment was provided with a couple of grenadier figures for some variety.


I like a few puddles on my Irish bases. If you have ever been to Ireland, you will know why!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment