Pages

Sunday 28 January 2018

Almost there...

Hello again.

Last time out, I postulated on the year's activities and also stated that I had still to finish the unit of grenadiers I have been working on for a good while now.

Well, in a flurry of activity, I finally finished painting the last four figures for the regiment, consisting of a base from the 35th Foot, varnished all sixteen figures I needed to do to finish the regiment to my satisfaction and even managed to base them, having previously prepared the MDF bases with a coat of earthy-coloured paint on both faces to assist against warping.

HM 35th Regiment of Foot grenadiers, newly painted as of yesterday. I wanted a mix of facing colours and this regiment featured at a number of actions during the FIW, so orange had a run out.

HM 27th Regiment of Foot (the Inniskillings). Buff facings this time and a grenadier cap a little different to the usual affair with the "GR" cypher. As this is the most senior regiment in my force, I gave them the command element to represent them.

HM 46th Regiment of Foot. My main source for this one was the colour plate depicting their ambush of French forces at La Belle Famille, as shown in the Osprey "Combat" series book "British Redcoat vs French Fusilier".

Last but not least comes HM 58th Regiment of Foot (Anstruther's), a line infantryman of which is also depicted in a colour plate in the aforementioned Osprey title. The yellow lace was a pain in the proverbial, but adds a nice contrast to the plethora of white lace shown on the other regiments.

Now, the plan was that the grenadiers would be matched by a battalion each of their parent regiment, so I have another five line battalions to do to make good on that premise. I have got as far as preparing and spray undercoating the first of these, this time using a few Redoubt command figures in the mix, with Eagle Figures for the basic line troops. I do not suppose it matters which one I do first, but as I started with a battalion of the 60th Royal Americans, perhaps the 58th should be next and I work backwards numerically. Then again, can I really be bothered with the trial of painting that yellow lace at the moment?

Either way, the plan's conclusion would see me with seven battalions of foot, including grenadiers, which is a tidy enough sum for the FIW.

To conclude, I should say that today gave me the opportunity to texture the bases on these four stands of troops, so just grass and other flora and paint effects to do to see them properly finished. As I said at the top of this piece, "almost there".

G

No comments:

Post a Comment