Pages

Monday 4 June 2018

More of Louis' Finest

Hello again.

Hot on the heels of the 43rd Regiment of Foot for their red-coated opponents, the French are finally getting a few more troops to play with, having, it appears, successfully avoided the Royal Navy and managing to land a few more 28mm Gascons or whatever on the shores of New France, aka Canada.

I know I have painted the whole regiment, as I always do the flag(s) last, but, in a perverse reversal of fortune, I am presenting the flag first for this regiment.

So, third on the roster for the forces of Louis XV in his struggle with les Roastbeefs in New France/ Canada comes the Regiment Bearn, or, at least, its ensign.




The figure is from Eagle Figures, the flag my usual hand-painted calico with a brass pole affair and details for this one seem to be pretty common. again, however, there is a very good picture of the flag, in colour for those who need it, in Stuart Reid's Osprey title "British Redcoat vs French Fusilier" in the Combat series. I like these eighteenth century French flags - simple, yet colourful and readily identifiable for those like me who have a mere passing acquaintance with the period. I carefully drew this one out on the blank calico however in order to try and get the stripes straight!!!

The regiment will follow soon, once I have based it, textured the bases, etc.

It is 5-3 to the British so far in terms of completed regiments, but I have more French "light types" as well as some French artillery to even things out slightly. Either way, that will probably be it for FIW figures in readiness for the Barrage Show on 8th July, with the exception of some command figures for both sides.

The thrust of my next five weeks MUST be on the necessary terrain for our proposed game. I need some semblance of a fort, a building or two to go inside the fort, some trenchworks/ siegeworks and perhaps one or two buildings for a nearby village. I then have to try and work out a scenario to give those involved something to mull over and work through on the day and, who knows, the players MIGHT actually come away having enjoyed themselves...

G

No comments:

Post a Comment