Pages

Tuesday 28 August 2018

Finally at full strength

Hello again.

It was always my intention to build my French units for the Seven Years' War up to the same standard strength as those of my British, so I have done just that. Those who have followed this project may well remember that I initially built my French at 20 figures per line regiment vs the 24 for the British. This was for two reasons:

  1. I wanted to show that they were historically smaller on average than their British counterparts for the fighting in North America.
  2. I wanted a visual representation also of the better firepower of British regiments and, on the basis of "size is important", I went that way.
However, with the plan to move my forces to Europe in the offing, a return to the "standard" size grew more pressing. When I increase my French infantry forces further, I will also start on European-based regiments, so future units will not only be 24 figures strong, but will also feature a Colonel's flag and be based to my usual four figures on a 40mm square base format.

Thus, with five bases each of four figures to add to, I decided on a couple of "wings" per regiment, each wing having two figures rather than four and being 20x40mm not 40x40. Thus, I now have my three initial regiments up to strength, the Royal-Roussillon, La Reine and Bearn.

I also decided to paint the sole remaining regiment of figures as a regiment from the French & Indian Wars, so Regiment Berry has now come into being too, based in the same way as its sisters. As previously, all figures are Eagle Figures, the flag my usual hand painted on calico affair. I added a conversion for a bit of variety in the form of a spare ensign, whose standard has been replaced by a halberd from the bits box, so Berry uniquely has a sergeant urging on the troops. All my material informs me that halberds were given up in favour of a musket, but it's my unit so I'm doing it my way!!!

When we emerge from hibernation to once again take "The Relief of Fort Nummanmason" to a show to demo, these will take to the field. Therefore, I had better get cracking on some more British as soon as possible or game balance will fly out of the window!

G

Regiment Berry, all 24 figures of it from the start

The purple on the flag looked blue on the original photo, but seems to have come out in the correct purple after all


The converted sergeant figure at the back of this pair was an easy job, simply entailing switching a flag for a halberd from the bits box. This was even easier when you consider that the French ensigns from Eagle Figures are cast without their staff, unlike their British counterparts.

The "wings" that make my existing regiments up to 24 figures each. From the left of shot, we have Royal-Roussillon, La Reine and finally Bearn.

No comments:

Post a Comment