Pages

Saturday 1 September 2018

The Black Pi-Rat

Hello again.

When I first heard about "Burrows & Badgers: A Skirmish Game of Anthropomorphic Animals", written by Michael Lovejoy and published by Osprey Games, I was enthused. When I found a copy whilst browsing around Asgard Games in Walsall on my first ever visit there, I had to buy a copy.

The game looked interesting. The genre looked like engaging. But where to find the figures? Oathsworn Miniatures was the answer to that one and, a quick order later, coupled with a hefty purchase at the Barrage Show, I was in possession of a number of widely varying animal warriors and magicians, ne'er-do-wells and malcontents, heroes and rogues, not to mention a multitude of ideas for how to form them into disparate warbands for the aforementioned games.

How about a Military Order led by a Border Terrier? What about a band of brave-hearted brigands from north of the border led by a ferocious wildcat? How about a beleaguered police force trying to protect the waterways of the land from piracy, led by an otter or two? What about the pirates and rogues out to smuggle, murder, steal and generally keep said river police busy? Then there are the nefarious schemes of foxes, the depraved depths of society as epitomised by a colony of rats, the inscrutable, dreamy plans of the cold-bloods. A multitude of choice, a plethora of options, a veritable cornucopia of potential gaming fun in a world ripe for imagination and creativity.

All of those and so many more are there for the making!

These figures are not cheap - the cheapest is £3 and they range through to around £12 I think for something like a badger - but you only need around six or seven for a band. I do feel they are fairly priced given the likely sales volume - these are not exactly your "I need a couple of hundred line infantry" Napoleonics! I also like the quality of the figures and, with the rules being self-contained, your outlay will not break too many banks. Unless, of course, you are like me and enjoy the collecting and painting probably more than the actual game...The figures are also metal, do not need gluing together and come with a base sized appropriately for their role in the game (30 or 40mm circular slottabases). As each figure is usable with every other one, as you make your own warband up from whatever you want up to your starting figure of 350 pennies, there is never likely to be a wasted figure. Also, the rules contain campaign rules too, so your little group can grow in stature and numbers as you play the game.

So, first up, is a figure I bought at Barrage, which I do not believe was available when I placed my first order. The fact that the range is expanding is a good thing and a good sign.

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you...

The Black Pi-Rat!

Having a sort of soft spot for historical pirates (if only as a game subject - I am not sure I would want to meet or get involved with any of them!), it was a fair guess that some sort of pirate theme would emerge at some point. I have a liking for many of these figures, but this guy is one of my overall favourites, so he got first dibs on the paint, brushes and my time.

G

"Come and have a go, you scurvy dogs!" could be taken very literally in "Burrows & Badgers"!!!

Rather than do generic bases, I thought a bit about what sort of base would suit a pirate. Perhaps the boards of a ship? Yes, but limited for land-based games. How about a quayside? Yes again, but a bit too specific. So, I went for a beach, which would also pass for sandy soil. For a bit of added interest, I added a small section of broken down breakwater/ fence.

And the first one is done. Now for some crew to sail on the good ship "Blackberry".

No comments:

Post a Comment