Pages

Sunday 6 January 2013

2013 and taking stock

Well, a very Happy New Year to each and every one of you.

I have done my usual perusal of the lead (and plastic) mountain to try to plan 2013.
I have tried to chart the likely workload involved in each hillock of said mountain(s).
I have even tried to get a basic cost in my head for each hillock, in order to expand it into its very own mountain.

Yes, sad I know, but I find it helps even if I do not stick with it. A paradoxical statement? Yes, in part, but each step helps me understand what I can do, not just what I want to do, enables me to visualise a schedule and thereby keeps me motivated on what I am doing. I long since realised I am one of those vacuous/ mad/ inconstant/ plain lost types Peter Young cautioned us all about when he said doing more than one period was madness (I forget the exact quote....)

So far, I have lined myself up for nine months' worth of my 1314 project. We will see if that comes off, but I have so far finished 12 knights, 6 men-at-arms/ sergeants and 16 crossbowmen, with 24 Scots spearmen and another 16 generic infantry built ready to go. The knights were done a while back to see if I could get into period (painting samples is my way of checking this detail out), the rest over the past month. The Scots are up next, having sprayed them with newly-bought undercoat this morning.

I am still analysing last year's numbers (yes, VERY SAD.....), but one thing is clear for this year. I made the mistake of totting up the cost of my various wargaming-related purchases, starting on 29th February, 2012. I counted only figures, kits and books, so paint came as a "freebie".

I spent £5 short of £1500 in ten months.........

2013 is the Year of the Miser in the G Calendar.

G

1 comment: